Comments Always Welcome

October 19, 2011

PN Hawaii: Day 2

Howdy ho ninja fans!

Aloha is a word in the Hawaiian language that has numerous meanings both as a single word and when used in context with other words. The most common uses are as a greeting, farewell or a salutation. Aloha is also commonly used to mean love and kindness. It can also be used to express compassion, regret or sympathy.

They've got aloha in everything here. Drive with aloha. Cooked with aloha. Made with aloha.

So on today's episode of the ninja adventures, we continue my quest to find kalipokeone, the hula girl that caught my ninja eye. I love coconuts by the way. Drank coconut juice right from the shell at a fruit stand and it was ever so tasty. Anyway, Edward got a tip from the Tikki spirits that Kali was visiting some friends at hanauma bay, a nature preserve known for world class snorkeling.






Here's the view from a scenic overlook. Luckily I arrived so early that there were no workers at the parking gate nor at the entrance. What does that mean? I didn't have to pay a dime! Also there were only a handful of other travelers. Ni how did they get there so early? Ha ha.








So we dawned our snorkel gear (purchased in advance so as not to have to rent or deal with other people's grossness) and plunged into the warm sea. Edward had a few panic attacks about having to mouth breathe but he eventually got over it and enjoyed the sea life and coral.





This is a Humuhumunukunukuapua'a - the State Fish of Hawaii. He hadn't seen kali.





Neither did any of these guys....


















So after two hours of snorkeling around the bay, we returned to shore and soaked up the rays beneath palm trees swaying gently in the warm ocean breeze.






While drying off in our plush resort towels, Edward's teeth were chattering and he was complaining about being cold. "what the blood" said I. "You are dead inside, and always cold". "ninja what!" he shouted. "stereotypes are wrong. Don't profile me bro.". "don't be dramatic, sparkles" I said.






Edward was feeling genuinely sick but I dragged him to the alamona mall for some shopping and food. I'd had gotten the low down from a native that this place offered some good shops and good eats. We picked up some Korean from the food court and an assortment of poke - raw fish salad seasoned with various spices. Here we see our lunch including spicy tuna and shoyu poke types. Oh and I got a spam musubi to boot. This is a grilled piece of spam on top of a bed of rice and bounded up with nori. Think of it as a spam sushi.

One thing we noticed was that the portion size here is insane. Smalls here are really large or extra large.





After the large lunch we shopped more and returned home to relax. For dinner we went out for a light sushi dinner. This place had cushion seating on a wooden floor. Edward was being a pain in the neck though. "if I wanted to sit and eat on the floor, I would have stayed at home."






After dinner, we meandered through some shops. Edward was feeling extra sick and irritable. He complained about reverse discrimination when he saw this sign.

"ninja please" I laughed. "I'd be a pale vampire any day of the week. You got it easy. Girls throw themselves at you with messy hair."

"it's the peacoat really." he said. "clothes make the man!"

"I gotta get some burberry" I mumbled.





After junko bunko shopping, we retired to the resort and relished the sunset with a backdrop of palm tree silhouettes and glowing tikki torches.






Edward's illness kicked into full swing with a fever, running nose and sore throat. He passed out.





I sat outsider and blogged to the sound of crashing waves.





That's all for day two. Tomorrow I'm headed to look for Kali among a waterfall, tourist central and another picturesque beach! Stay tuned beaches! We've got many surprises in store.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

jeff and alli said...

It looks beautiful! I want some shaved ice, yum!

The seafood salad sounds very scary to me, I'm afraid of raw fish.